Hello! Yes, you read right…Kale Mojitos! Only here will you find such a strange but wonderful combination – the nutritious goodness of kale meets the badness of white rum! Believe me, you will never taste the kale (not that I don’t love the taste of kale)!
Last week my girls and I created this wonderful, refreshing cocktail that is very tasty and easy on the conscience. But don’t be fooled. It is a real cocktail and hits the spot.
Kale Mojitos with Agave
Makes 4 drinks
- 4 leaves of kale, washed (we used dinosaur kale)
- 1/2 cup of agave syrup (or to taste, or use simple syrup)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of cold water
- 1 cup of fresh mint, washed
- 3 limes
- 4 shots of white rum (6 oz or to taste)
- 1 bottle of club soda or sparkling water
- 4 cups of ice cubes
To prepare the kale juice:
- Tear the kale into pieces, removing the stem, and put it in the blender.
- Add the agave (or simple syrup). Start to blend, adding cold water as needed to make a thick syrupy juice. Blend until it is as smooth as possible. It’s okay if there are small chunks of kale since the mint will have chunks anyway.
- Set aside.
To prepare the mint and garnish:
- Place 10 leaves of mint in a mortar (or bowl).
- Pour the juice of two of the limes over and muddle with the pestle (or use a fork). Set aside.
- Pick out 4 nice sprigs of mint and set aside.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges and set aside.
To prepare the Mojitos:
- Pour 1 shot (1.5 oz) rum into a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to fill 1/2 to the top.
- Add 1/4 of the mint-lime juice mixture.
- Add 4 tbsp of the kale juice (or less if the shaker is too full with that amount).
- Shake vigorously for 1 minute.
- Strain into a tall ice-filled glass.
- Add club soda or sparkling water to fill to the top.
- Swish around a bit to mix it.
- Garnish with mint sprig and lime.
- Enjoy your refreshing drink!